Saturday, March 21, 2009

Calabrese/The Reanimated/The Big Bad/Pumkin Slut and Veronica Grim 3-15

This show was one of the greatest shows I think I have booked. Not because it had a great turn out but because I got to see all my friends and people under one roof. After all the stressing about getting the show together, promoting and all the other typical stressful business that goes with booking it went on without a hitch.

The night started out with everyone arriving and hanging out, which to be honest is always my fave part of the night, getting to see bands and friends from far away come out to rock is the best feeling on earth. Provided them with a show to do such is the most rewarding part. This part of the night always puts my stress level at ease.

As usual all the guys in Calabrese were awesome to everyone who came to see them. Here is a picture of them in the parking lot with one of their biggest fans little miss Autumn, who got them to sign her guitar case. She is the hardest rockin' 9 year old horror punk fan you will find. She also lists Mr. Jimmy Calabrese as dreamy as Joe Jonas of the Jonas Brothers and you know that's big time stuff in a 9 year old world!
The show kicked off with Miss Veronica Grim (above) doing a solo warm up performance. This chick can wail!! At first when the crowd of mostly punk and horror punk sorts saw her I think they were under the assumption they were going to get some lame chick vagina rock. After a couple moments they knew they were wrong! She did a bunch of her original rockabilly-esque tunes and also treated the crowd to various cover songs, that got most people pumped and they all sang along. Watch out for this girl, she's going to be big someday soon. http://www.myspace.com/hardluckrogue <- Veronica's Myspace

The next band up was Pumpkin Slut and for some reason I can't find any pictures of their set. But lets just say it involved a burro show. You know a donkey. For real. OK, not a donkey show like that you sickos!! But it was a pinata filled with goodies. Pumpkin Slut never fails to entertain that's for sure. They might be a little insane and write songs about zombies at McDonald's but they put on one hell of a show. That's why I like to book them. Also Billy is like a brother to me in my extended screwed up family so I love these guys and they always entertain the heck out of the crowds at my shows. http://www.myspace.com/pumpkinsluts

The Big Bad played next. These guys are definitely brothers from another mother. I can't say enough good things about this band. I would definitely go as far to say currently they are one of the most under-rated horror bands around. They have found a second home coming to Cincinnati and rocking with us. I love them so much they crash at our place and I fix them pancakes! They had their new CD there, and they played almost everything off the album and also covered Maneater by Hall and Oats haha! It was amazing as always. Their CD is awesome but is nothing compared to the live performance they give. If you haven't seen then I highly suggest you do. http://www.myspace.com/thebigbad


The Reanimated were up next. These guys never cease to make me proud of them. I worry about them a lot because they are all missing a couple of marbles upstairs but that's why I am friends with them. I would have to say this was probably one of the best live performances I have seen out of them ever. I think all winter they were storing all their super hero energy up for one kick ass blow out show. They didn't cease to amaze and as usual the crowd pounded each other and most came out covered in fake blood. Wouldn't be a good time with the Reanimated if that didn't happen right?!

Calabrese took the stage and did what they do best - rock. I have always been impressed by these guys because there is only 3 of them. For a band with just 3 members they definitely rock the hell out. They always put on a high energy show for their fans. I must admit that I missed the first half of their performance because I had to go count down money and pay bands, but even though I was in the back doing business I could still hear and sing along! That's what sucks about what I do sometimes. I have to take care of the business aspect first and foremost and sometimes I miss some of the bands I want to see. But in the end it's all worth it! I did get to catch the last part of the set after I pushed my way up front and even got a little sing-along on with the covers they did at the end. Once again they gave us a 100% performance and everyone loved it! So much they didn't want to leave the club!

Overall I wish every show I booked always went as well as this one did. I would like to thank everyone who came out to support the show. Everyone who drove far to see it, came and rocked out. You guys are the reason I book shows and not just go to them. Thanks to all the bands, you are all amazing.

The last bit I would like to share with you is some random pictures... We had an after party. I won't explain it, but you can see the pictures haha!!


Eric, Kyle 13 and Adam aka Drunk, Drunker, and Drunkest! I love all 3 of these crazies. I just had to share this picture of undying manlove. Eric and Adam are a hoot alone when intoxicated most the time. Add Kyle 13 to the mix and the 7th layer of Hell is about to open. Kyle is like the Nikki Sixx of Horror Punk. You never know what he's going to do, he's random. That's why I love him. I have a feeling if Kyle hung out more here, him and I would see the backseat of a couple of cop cruisers. He has that way of bringing out the evil in people haha! PS Kyle.. You still owe me a drink butthole! All beer showers at the show were compliments of Kyle also. Make sure you send him thank you letters. haha


Here are a couple pictures from the after party we had. Yes the gun is real. It is not loaded. But most the pictures are hilarious. Pixe never looked hotter holding a machine gun! We had a lot of fun esp. with Greg's gun collection. I think he's waiting on the zombie apocalypse. Sorry to anyone who drank the Ouzo and ended up puking. It's for the hardcore of the hardcore apparently.

I hope if you read this you enjoyed it. Please feel free to leave comments! Also be on the lookout for more stuff on here asap!

Keep it evil!

Abby

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invite to the after party, which I could have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this show was amazing. And thanks for bringing The Big Bad out this way. I hadn't seen those guys in years.
    Annie told me later that you had invited her/us to the after party. Sorry we cut out pretty early, I was tired and had work the next day. If I had known Ouzo was involved, we might have stopped by for a few minutes. I grew up with that stuff. Last time I had any involved an unopened bottle, a beach, and some Cryptkeepers...
    -anastasia

    ReplyDelete